Help Centre

We try to keep our GP appointments for patients with more serious health problems

Before you book an appointment to see a doctor please consider whether an appointment with a practice nurse might be appropriate. They can help you with a wide range of medical problems.

Our receptionists can help you decide which is the right person for you to see.

Soft tissue, muscle or joint pain?

Antony Swindells our Musculoskeletal (MSK) First Contact Practitioner works full time at the Oaklands. First Contact Practitioners are physiotherapists with expertise in the assessment and management of musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions.

He is here to assess patients with soft tissue, muscle and joint pain and to decide on the most appropriate management pathway. He can perform MSK assessments and support patients who are suffering from any bone, joint or muscle pain.


If you have a cough, cold, headache or other minor ailment try treating yourself at home first. Find out more about self care treatments for common minor ailments.

Please remember that self-care for common conditions can help free up our GPs’ time, making it easier to get an appointment when you have a more serious condition.

Your Pharmacist can Help too

Pharmacists are highly trained health professionals, they can give you confidential health advice for a wide range of common illnesses and complaints.

Don’t wait for a GP appointment for coughs, colds, aches and pains. Just call your local pharmacy there’s no need to make an appointment.

Your pharmacists can also help you decide if you need to see a doctor or nurse.

NHS 111

111 is the free NHS non-emergency number.

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

Sexual Health Services

For the emergency contraceptive pill, we recommend you contact your local pharmacist. They may offer you a phone or video consultation. You’ll then be given an electronic prescription so you can collect your contraception. You can also buy emergency contraception directly from a pharmacy without a prescription.

If you think you might have an STD – Cheshire East commission Axess to provide this service and a wide range of other sexual health services at Eagle Bridge in Crewe.

You do not need a referral to access these services please contact Axess directly to book an appointment.


Did you know that you do not need to see a GP for a referral to physiotherapy?

Just complete this online physiotherapy self-referral form: Physiotherapy Self-referral Form.

Minor Injuries

The Minor Injuries Unit is a Nurse-led unit, which sees and treats approx 16,000 patients per year. The department is open daily from 9 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday and Saturday to Sunday, 9 am to 1pm.

It is based at Victoria Infirmary Northwich ( VIN). You can attend here for minor injuries without an appointment.

They can treat:

  • sprains and strains
  • broken bones
  • wound infections
  • minor burns and scalds
  • minor head injuries
  • insect and animal bites
  • minor eye injuries
  • injuries to the back, shoulder and chest


A&E is for more serious accidents and emergencies. Before you go there, ask yourself, “Is it an emergency?”

If not, please consider using other local health services or get advice from 111 before you visit A&E.