Blog Archive


How do I access help to quit smoking?

One You provides help for the residents of Cheshire East who would like support to stop smoking.

You are three times more likely to succeed by working one-to-one or in a group with a Health Coach than going it alone.

You will get lots of support and motivation from your Health Coach. They will be able to tell you about nicotine replacement products and other stop smoking medicines. They can also recommend which product or combination of products could work for you.

We can also measure the levels of carbon monoxide in your body – the monitor shows how your level drops to the same as a non-smoker’s just 24 hours after your last cigarette.

If you would like help to stop smoking please call One You free on 0808 1643 202.

Find out more about One You and its services here.


Should I be taking Vitamin D?

Everyone should get an adequate intake of vitamin D for healthy bones and teeth. Vitamin D also helps our bodies to absorb calcium. Most of our vitamin D intake comes from sunlight and a small proportion comes from our diet. It is particularly important for pregnant women, to help keep their bones healthy and so that their babies are born with enough vitamin D in their bodies for the first few months of life.

Public Health England advises that the following groups should take a vitamin D supplement daily, which can be purchased from your local pharmacy or supermarket:

  • pregnant and breastfeeding women
  • babies and children under 5 years
  • older people
  • people with darker skin and those not exposed to much sun

Women and children who qualify for the Healthy Start scheme can get free supplements containing the recommended amounts of vitamin D


Do I need antibiotics?

Each year 25% of the population visit their GP for a respiratory tract infection (eg sinus, throat or chest infection). These are usually caused by viruses.

For patients who are otherwise healthy, antibiotics are not necessary for viral infections.

These infections will normally clear up by looking after yourself at home with rest, plenty of fluids and paracetamol.

Ear infections typically last 4 days

89% of cases clear up on their own

A sore throat typically lasts 7 days

40% of cases clear up after 3 days and 90% after 7 days without antibiotics

Sinusitis typically lasts 17 days

80% clear up in 14 days without antibiotics

Cough/bronchitis typically lasts 21 days

Antibiotics reduce symptoms by only 1 day

Antibiotics only work for infections caused by bacteria.

Taking unnecessary antibiotics for viral infections should be avoided because they may not be effective next time you have a bacterial infection.


Who should I see for my problem?

We try to keep our GP appointments for patients with more serious health problems.

Before you book an appointment to see a doctor please consider whether an appointment with a practice nurse might be appropriate. They can help you with a wide range of medical problems.

Our receptionists can help you decide which is the right person for you to see.


If you have a cough, cold, headache or other minor ailment try treating yourself at home first. Find out more about self care treatments for common minor ailments.

Please remember that self-care for common conditions can help free up our GPs’ time, making it easier to get an appointment when you have a more serious condition.

Your pharmacist can help too

Pharmacists are highly trained health professionals, they can give you confidential health advice for a wide range of common illnesses and complaints.

Don’t wait for a GP appointment for coughs, colds, aches and pains. Just call your local pharmacy there’s no need to make an appointment.

Your pharmacists can also help you decide if you need to see a doctor or nurse.

Find out how pharmacies can help you.

NHS 111

111 is the free NHS non-emergency number.

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

Click here for more information about how NHS 111 can help you.

Sexual Health Services

For the emergency contraceptive pill, we recommend you contact your local pharmacist. They may offer you a phone or video consultation. You’ll then be given an electronic prescription so you can collect your contraception. You can also buy emergency contraception directly from a pharmacy without a prescription.

If you think you might have an STD – Cheshire East commission Axess to provide this service and a wide range of other sexual health services at Eagle Bridge in Crewe.

You do not need a referral to access these services please contact Axess directly to book an appointment.


Did you know that you do not need to see a GP for a referral to physiotherapy?

Just complete this online physiotherapy self-referral form: Physiotherapy Self-referral Form

Minor Injuries

The Minor Injuries Unit is a Nurse-led unit, which sees and treats approx 16,000 patients per year. The department is open daily from 9 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday and Saturday to Sunday, 9 am to 1pm. It is based at Victoria Infirmary Northwich ( VIN). You can attend here for minor injuries without an appointment.

They can treat:

  • sprains and strains
  • broken bones
  • wound infections
  • minor burns and scalds
  • minor head injuries
  • insect and animal bites
  • minor eye injuries
  • injuries to the back, shoulder and chest


A&E is for more serious accidents and emergencies. Before you go there, ask yourself, “Is it an emergency?”

If not, please consider using other local health services or get advice from 111 before you visit A&E.


How do I get a referral to physiotherapy?

Did you know that you do not need to see a GP for a referral to physiotherapy? You can self refer with this online form:

Self Referral Physiotherapy Form


How do I order a medication that is not on my repeat prescription?

Your doctor will usually review your medication every 6 to 12 months to make sure your regular medication is on your repeat prescription list. This way you can order it online.

If the medication you require is not on repeat please complete a prescription request here.

This will be read by a doctor within 2 working days. The doctor will then either issue the medication or request a phone call or consultation with you to discuss your request and agree on the most appropriate action.


How do I get a Sick Note?

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may, however, require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

If you are ill for longer than seven days, your employer will most likely want a fit note from your GP.

To request a sick “fit note” please make a request online here.


What Do I Do If I Am pregnant?

There’s no need to book in to see a GP, you can book in to see the midwife.

Find out about our local maternity services and how to self refer here.